on business | Why Your Marketing doesn’t Generate Revenue?

Why Your Marketing doesn’t Generate Revenue?


So many startups struggle with their marketing. Not that the campaign doesn’t reach people, it definitely does, but it reaches the wrong people. As a startup, you see a lot of reactions to your ad on social media. But when you look at your website analytics, you rarely find someone who stayed for longer than 10 seconds.

Is that because your product/service is inadequate or useless? I don’t think so.

There are many reasons for having a high bounce rate. But in this article, we will focus on marketing reasons.

“Bounce rate is the number of users who leave your website after viewing only one page for a few seconds. Higher bounce rate is bad.”

If you wonder why your marketing budget seems to be wasted, then keep reading.

Understanding the purpose of your marketing campaign is the first step for making marketing work better for you. By defining the goal and objective of your campaign, you will define better the marketing activities you need to create and save your valuable dollars.


Tactical Marketing vs. Strategic Marketing:

A common mistake for startups is spending money and efforts on the wrong type of marketing called “Tactical Marketing.” They spend a lot of resources defining if they should use Facebook ads or not, which ad type to use on facebook, what keywords to use with Google Adwords, etc.

On the other hand, they should have a focus on “Strategic Marketing.” It is the message they want to send. In other words, the message your potential users/customers want to hear, defining the right audience, customers, and buyers. What is the pain/problem your customers have and how you solve it. If you are a B2B business, then defining the decision-making flow of your customers is crucial for your targeting.

Marketing is not about the tools. Marketing is about the need.

A hard lesson you should know. Customers don’t care about you or your startup; they care only about themselves.

When you write a piece of content for your marketing, put yourself in your customer’s shoes. What do they want to read, what information is essential, and what benefits he/she will get. Your message should be about your customer, not your company. Customers don’t care if you sold your house to fund your project. They care about the problem they have, not the problem you have.

Market Dominating Position.

Once you clarify your message, it is a lot easier to communicate it to the right audience. Focus on engaging the customers. Educating them, provide valuable information, make them think of you as the right choice when they decide to buy.

Many books advise you to urge the customer to buy now, register now, and act now. But this way works only with 2% of all customers.

You and your competitors are fighting on this 2 %. Unless your message appears to the customers in his last station of the buying journey, he will simply ignore it.

But is that weird? Not at all.

Even you, when you decide to buy a car, or a house or a computer, you start by searching and collecting information, then comparing choices, then asking for reviews and recommendations, then finally you make the purchase. These processes could take days, weeks, or even months.


Focus on the 98%.

So, only 2% reached the final station. What about the other 98%?

If you guide them through their journey, who do you think will be their first choice to buy from? It’s definitely you.

If you sell watches, educate them about the type of watches, brands, and models. Teach them how to catch fraud watches, how to clean it up. Then promote your 5 year guaranteed watches.

In this case, if people found you at any step of their journey, they will complete it with you. Eventually, they will be happy to give you their money. Not just because they will have a new watch, but because they feel not fooled. They feel knowledgeable and think of you and your company as the experts who got their backs.

Then Tactical Marketing:

Once you define your message and your target customer’s persona. It is easy to identify which platform to advertise on, and which keywords to target. For example, If your target audience is teenagers between 18 to 24 years old, then Instagram, snap chat, and facebook are your make-sense platform. Linkedin will be a waste of time, effort, and money.